Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Damn Hook-Up Sites

I don't know if I'd mentioned this in a previous blog.
A month ago, I was seeing a guy and then I didn't hear from him for about two weeks. Two weeks is my marker for "we're not seeing each other any more." (It's a fair enough amount of time for someone to let me know what's going on.) Moving on, I was at a friends house when he said, "Let's see who's on Adam4Adam.com." For those of you who don't know, it's a gay hook up site. Anyway, we were flipping through profiles when we come across one. "That's the guy I'm seeing," I said, "well, I guess I'm not seeing him now."
Honestly, we hand't committed to each other, so under normal circumstances I would have been totally ok with it. When you say something like that around your friends, there is no turning back. I mean, you can say stuff like that around SOME of your VERY closest friends, you know, the ones that KNOOOOW what YOU DIIIIIIID last summer. One of them in my company was not one such friend.
Cut to Sunday night. Oh, by the way, I joined my church choir, but more about that later. On my way home from choir practice, I stopped at an other friend's house. Somehow Adam4adam.com came up again. "Oh, guess what?" he says. "I saw (insert ex's name here) and (insert ex's new boyfriend here) on Adam4Adam.com." Now I didn't let it bother me because I was in such shock that this particular ex would even consider such a thing. When I was with him, he just could not understand why ANYBODY could do something like that when they already have a boyfriend, somewhat to my disappointment....but I digress. I understand that was a long time ago and the both of us have changed considerably.
Later, I mentioned to him that I don't know why that bothered me. He suggested because it was because I thought they had the perfect relationship and it upset me that even they hook up. At this point I was irritated that someone I've known for fifteen years thinks I'm so ignorant to think that the perfect relationship even exists. I didn't tell him that, I also didn't tell him that what really upset me was the fact that I really didn't want to know that. It's none of my business. Honestly, "Why on God's green earth would I want to know that my ex and his boyfriend are on a gay hook up sight?"
I guess being around people who like to gossip sometimes bites you in the ass. Want to see the marks it left?

Just kidding.

No comments: