Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Flagstaff 10's

I was up very early in the morning to ride up to Flagstaff with Tony, Ling-Ling (Brian) and Kevin (token straight guy). We left Phoenix at about 4:40am. It was cold and windy in Flagstaff and I played the second half of the first game and all of the other two games. The first game sucked in the first half and it looked like I may have been in a fight with one of the guys on the other team. I don't know what it is, but I'm not sure if it suprises guys on other teams when they are ready for a fight and I jump right back in their face. I don't know if they think that because we're a gay team that we're going back off when they get pissed off. Now, I don't go looking for fights, but when you grow up ghetto, you NEVER show that you are afraid of someone else.
Anyway, we lost that game, but we did score.
The second game was against a team of firefighters from somewhere in Nevada. I wonder how it was they were even able to play in our division. They were really good. I guess I have to look on the bright side, that playing better teams makes you have to get better. We scored in this game too. This was when it started raining. By the end of the game, my shoes and socks were soaked. After the end of the game, my adrenaline level went way down and I was freezing, it was so called, my testicles ascended. I was REALLY cold. I endedup sitting in Tony's car until he came and got me to tell me it was time for the next game. I told him I didn't think I could play an other game, it was so cold. He offered to let me use an extra pair of socks he had (that were dry).
I only had time to change one sock when our coach said the game was about to start. That one dry sock made all the difference in the world. At one point, I prayed that it would get warmer, Dear Jesus, I can't do this, please make it warmer. Well, halfway through the game, it stopped raining and the clouds broke. So much better. We didn't win that last game either, but we did score. We didn't to all that great at this tournament, but we did a hell of a lot better than the last time we were there and that's what really mattered to me. It also mattered that Simon told me that when he put me on the field, it made an immediate difference.

It's nice to be appreciated.

No comments: